Friday, October 17, 2014
Wednesday, October 8, 2014
Ten houses in the community use wood stoves to keep warm. In order to prepare for winter each household must have a steady supply of wood harvested and stored in a dry place. We are seeking donations of logs as well as materials for insulating the homes. If you would like to learn more about heating with wood or making your home more energy efficient please come down and investigate the community for yourself.
at 2:01 PM
Over the summer the Bike COOP's home was stolen from the community by ruthless speculators. The building has been boarded up and all murals have been painted over in drab grey only to be graffitied over again. Many people put in hard work to make this space happen and we thank you for your brilliant efforts. WE have moved the remaining bikes to a garage in the community and are still in need of tubes, tires, training wheels and tools. The current incarnation is a DIY setting with BYO Tools and KNOW HOW. We would love for someone to become the new BIKE MECHANIC and BOTTOM LINE the project.
at 1:47 PM
Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Wednesday, April 2, 2014
"Transforming a neighborhood, one house, one person, one family at a time..."
Hello Fireweed friends and family,
How are you? We have missed you. Sorry for the long absence, but alas, we have survived the long winter. Spring is finally upon us! We are so overjoyed. And we wish you to join us in our many projects now that the weather warrants it. Here is an update of upcoming events if you would be so kind as to help us spread the word. Please let us know if you have any questions, comments or concerns. We thank you for your continued support of the Fireweed Universe-City. We love you all so very much.
- VOLUNTEER WORK DAY - Every Saturday from Noon until 5 p.m (or really Sunrise to Sunset). As Shane would put it "Many Hands Make Light Work." Projects for the volunteer work days are unlimited. What ever you want to imagine can be accomplished. Priority projects include:
- GROWING FOOD (weeding, composting, planting seeds, tilling soil)
- BULK PICK UP DAY is this TUESDAY APRIL 8th. We need to get he garbage collected off the side of the streets and collect bulk items out of potential houses to occupy.
- GARDENING WORKSHOPS. Exchange ideas for gardening, seeds and tips. Learn about different forms of gardening and composting, particularly urban farming.
- FULL MOON FUNDRAISER DANCE PARTIES. The Red Planet collective is located across the street from the Innate Healing Center and Cafe. In the past it has served as a community bike shop, but we are working to create a true community center. Every full moon we throw a dance party which we run off of a gas powered generator. This is an effort to raise money for Fireweed's efforts to become a 501(c)3 registered federal non-profit. A variety of artists and collaborations, the Red Planet has come a long way and has much potential on where it can go. Please spread the word to artists of any sort that may be interested in performing, painting, collaborating, hosting workshops of any sorts! NEXT FULL MOON: Tuesday April 15. $1 suggested donation.
- STORIES AFTER MIDNIGHT - Tommy Spaghetti presents an interactive black light active puppet show. We will be hosting workshop days to make our own puppets, and we will be having fun with home made pizza, Kava Kava and PUPPETS. Tuesday Nights.
- MOVIE NIGHT AT THE RED PLANET - Dates TBA. Also ran off our gas powered generator, we view a variety of films. Screened in the back of the Red Planet next to the wood burning stove, we are looking for volunteers to help run the snacks and drinks, and advertise with hand made flyer's.
- Fireweed Universe-City and Intergalactic Art Movement present: The Gates of RA! An art show inspired by ancient Egypt. Art Show, Psy-Fly Space Pharaoh Yoga, Sacred Wave Gong Immersion, Sacred Breathwork Experience. Saturday May 3rd at the Tangent Gallery (715 E. Milwaukee St., Detroit). Art Show at 6pm (all ages, free). Dance party at 9pm (21 and up, $10 presale).
We still need to gather wood and prepare the garden beds
And there's lots of trash that can be dragged to the curb to be picked up on the next bulk trash day.
The zombie apocalypse is here now.
Trun off your tv's and computers,
Come help rebuild Detroit one street at a time.
You can help by donating time, clothes, food, construction items and of course money on the websites Fireweed pay pal.
Love and light
at 7:03 PM
Sunday, March 2, 2014
Wednesday, January 8, 2014
|Nick works on the Rocket Stove at 159.|
Hello Friends and Family of Fireweed Universe-City, and a very Happy New Year!
Well winter is certainly amongst us! Sorry for the absence and lack of updates but we have been busy continuously preparing for the bitter cold. We have been very blessed with friends donating wood to the community. We are keeping warm with our wood burning steel barrel stoves. The zen mentality of chop wood/carry water is in full effect every day. It is certainly a learning experience for us all. We are currently burning about six stoves through out the community and make sure that any donations are divided evenly amongst the homes. This means that wood is burned through fast! If you or anyone you know would have any leads on down/dead trees, Fireweed has two chainsaws, and limited access to a truck, and would very much appreciate the opportunity to come and collect wood! Also, blankets are also greatly utilized, not only for warmth, but insulation as well. Thank you so much for your interest in this growing project and community. We look forward to sharing with you our progress, as we have many ideas that are brewing and will be actualized in the coming months!
For now: survival mode. Stay warm and safe everyone! Much love.
|Chopping wood after cutting down a dead tree on Robinwood. Thanks to our friend Dan for the help! Also: a snowball fight ensues.|
at 7:11 PM